I’ve got some images of pots from my August glaze fire. Below are some of my favorites:
All wheel thrown stoneware with cone 6 glazes. Mostly Celadon Blue and Saturated Iron by Coyote. You can check my Facebook Page for a few more pots.
The previous post was about mugs with logos.Â There were a few other items in the first glaze fire of 2012:
Not pictured: a small teardrop shaped vase, a Charger mug that turned out terribly, and a large mug with some stamped patterns.
I got a little tired of making mugs at one point so I wanted to try a different drinking vessel. I decided to make some tall handle-less forms. I’ll call them tumblers unless someone else has a better name for these tall cups. I feel like tumblers should have straighter sides. Â I haven’t actually tried drinking out of them yet but I like how they turned out. My wife wasn’t as impressed and thinks they look like they should be used by kings and queens of the medieval times. Maybe if I dig a moat around the house?
I also wanted to make someÂ yarn bowls to put on my shelf in the Stone Soup Emporium. I made three but I broke one before I could get it bisque fired and one has been donated to the Jefferson Elementary silent auction tomorrow. I’ll probably make a few more. I like how the glaze turned out on the inside of these two.
One of the best parts of the glaze fire was doing a little experimenting and enjoying the results. A while ago I wrote of mugs with poor attachments. A few were salvaged and survived the bisque fire so I decided toÂ experimentÂ with some glaze application. I dipped the two mugs in Saturated Iron to cover the outside. Then I brushed a patch of Eggshell on both sides of one and Alabaster Satin on both sides of the other. On top of these white squares I brushed a quick design with a black wash. The wash and glazes melted together a little bit and I think it adds some interest to each mug.
This weekend (hooray for presidents!) I hope to start cranking out another batch of logo mugs. I’ve been absent from the clay studio for the past week or so except to reclaim some clay and haul a couple boxes of new clay down to the bench. Here’s to getting dirty!
Okay, so I don’t really have a clay studio cam… yet.Â But Keith over at Mudstuffing Sketchbook has posted a really cool video from his studio.Â Maybe someday I’ll get into those moving pictures but for now I have the old fashioned still images.
I think I have about enough mugs and other items to bisque fire in the next week.Â I had some orders for Little Charger mugs before Christmas Break so I’ve got those ready to go.Â I also had some requests for mugs with other logos.Â The stamps that I ordered came in at the end of last week so I’ve got a few more logo mugs drying.Â I was on top of things this time so no casualties yet and they are now almost completely dry.
December was a flurry of pottery making.Â According to my kiln log I fired the kiln three times.Â One bisque fire and two glaze fires.Â Here are some results from glaze firing on the 12th.
About half of these items were commissioned pieces.Â The secretary at school asked if I could put our school logo on some mugs so she could give them as gifts to the principal and resource officer.Â Another staff member asked if I could make some yarn bowls to give as Christmas presents.Â I had never done either but I was happy to learn.