Previously: Part 1 (Making the Sculptures)
Part 2 – Fixing and Finishing (The Rest of the Story)
In the previous post I got the two sculptures loaded into the kiln and held my breath throughout the entire bisque fire. When I finally opened the lid and got down to the bottom shelf I found this:
The male sculpture was in pieces. The spot where I had attached one of the logo slabs was too thick and must not have thoroughly dried. Even after preheating the kiln for a few hours. See, the kiln is supposed to hold at 200 degrees F for a few hours, just below boiling to drive out any excess water. But if there is still water inside any of the clay when the kiln reaches 212 F the water turns to steam and… kapow.