Okay, so I don’t really have a clay studio cam… yet.Â But Keith over at Mudstuffing Sketchbook has posted a really cool video from his studio.Â Maybe someday I’ll get into those moving pictures but for now I have the old fashioned still images.
I think I have about enough mugs and other items to bisque fire in the next week.Â I had some orders for Little Charger mugs before Christmas Break so I’ve got those ready to go.Â I also had some requests for mugs with other logos.Â The stamps that I ordered came in at the end of last week so I’ve got a few more logo mugs drying.Â I was on top of things this time so no casualties yet and they are now almost completely dry.
I also decided to make a few more yarn bowls to put over at the Stone Soup Emporium.Â I forgot how long cutting and smoothing takes.Â I guess I could have made the cuts a little less complex but I like the look of the spiral.Â Three yarn bowls are drying with a large mug/stein and a new form that I’m working on: the tumbler.Â Most of my previous drinking vessels have had a handle but I thought I should expand my horizons and see what happens.Â This first one is “okay” so I’ll try a few more.
And here they are.Â Today school was cancelled so I took about 90 minutes to throw some pots. Â I cranked out 7 tall tumbler forms and 3 shorter cylinders which I might add some logos to tomorrow. Â I used a little under a pound and a half of clay for each tumbler and most of them are right around 7 inches tall off the wheel. Â For this first batch I was just trying to get some similar shapes and sizes and become halfway efficient throwing the form. Â It’s interesting to see the subtle differences after I put them next to each other to dry. Â I think this is a form I would like to experiment with some more.
Up next should be a bisque fire after everything is dry. Â I”m also looking to order some supplies and possibly invest in a slab roller.