I last posted about some interesting results and glaze issues in a recent glaze fire. Here are the rest of the blog-worthy pieces from that glaze fire. These were fired to ^6, oxidation with a 15 minute hold at the peak temp. Wheel thrown with Amaco Warm Brown Stoneware.
Some of the photos aren’t as good as I would like. I’m experimenting with my photo booth again and the lens that fits my circular polarizing filter is giving me the dreaded “error 99” so I switched to a lens with no CPL.
Not pictured are a large vase and tumbler currently being re-fired, some of the pieces from the last post, and a handful of other pieces that weren’t interesting enough to make the cut.
The side fired bottle is tied for my favorite piece of the firing with the cup from the last post. It’s a shame that both developed glaze blisters.
The Rothshank Inspired Bowl reminds me of a wood fired bowl by Justin Rothshank that I purchased at an Empty Bowl event. The Pletcher Inspired Tumblers, especially the one on the right, are similar to the work I saw at Todd Pletcher’s Open House. I was actually trying to have some nice texture on those but the running glazes cover most of it.
As I’m typing this, I have another whole load cooling. When I got such awesome results from the Jen’s Juicy Fruit glaze I applied it to a few more of the pieces in the load before I put them in the kiln. Fingers crossed for no blisters.
The above pieces aren’t pictured in the gallery but are very interesting. The bowl on the left won’t come off the stand. I didn’t put kiln wash between the shells and the stand like the other stands I made. I think it would have been okay but one of the shells just melted to the stand and the other two cracked or broke. So the glaze from the bowl fused to the stand.
The cup in the middle was fired upside down. I was trying the get the glaze to drip off the rim to make it more interesting (but less functional). It worked! But one drip fused to the catch basin and broke when I removed the cup. I sanded down the sharp edge but next time I’ll know to leave more space between the cup and the catch basin.
The cup on the right uses a crystalline style catch basin like we made in our surface class. (Which reminds me, I still have some photos to upload). I carefully tapped the glaze near the bottom of the cup until it came loose. It worked! But I still need to grind the sharp edges.
In other news, I’m making little improvements to the blog. I’m about to start painting some signs for WNP. And only a few days until the Pottery Workshop! Unfortunately the end of summer break is near.
I need to go unload the kiln! Thanks for reading.